If you and your husband or wife have been married for over two years and have been separated for at least 12 months (whether or not under the same roof), we can help you move on with your life. Our divorce lawyers based in Sydney can help you move on with your lives.

Divorce is never easy. It can pose many challenges and obstacles for you. If you’re looking for the best divorce lawyers in Sydney, you can rely on the dedicated services of Urban Family Lawyers. Our services are not just limited to resolving conflicts, we take time to help our clients get back on their feet and offer them tailored services.

Working with professional family divorce lawyers in Sydney and Family Lawyers Sydney can make the process a lot more palatable. In Australia, divorce is separate to finances, parenting, maintenance, and child support.

If you have children, the Court will require proper arrangements to have been made for their care.

If you have property with your spouse, it is important that you have or are in the process of settling the property division and financial matters between you. Once your Divorce Order is finalised, you only have 12 months to apply to the court for property orders if you haven’t already.

We offer fixed fee divorce pricing packages

Divorce Fees

  • Joint application (both parties apply together) – $1,000 + GST
  • Sole application (one person applies for divorce) – $1,300 + GST
  • If an additional affidavit is required if parties separated under one roof – $1,500 + GST

The prices do not include the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia Divorce Filing Fees which are as follows for 2023/2024 (please note that they increase on 1 July each year):

  • Application for Divorce – $1060
  • Application for Divorce, Reduced Fee – $350

A fee reduction is available for a sole application where the person applying for divorce is eligible and holds a current pension card, concession card or health care card. In the case of a fee reduction, both parties must be eligible for the fee reduction, otherwise the full fee applies. See the court guidelines for a reduce fee here.

Contact our family divorce lawyers in Sydney for further information.

Process Service Fees

  • For sole applications, a husband or wife will be required to be personally served with the Divorce Application, unless their lawyer accepts the documents on their behalf. You cannot serve your own husband or wife with these documents. If that is the case, we will need to engage a process server to personally hand the Application for Divorce to your husband or wife. The cost will depend on the location and number of attempts made to serve the documents.

Consent Orders Fixed Fee Pricing Packages

If you and your partner have already reached an agreement and want to make that agreement legally binding, we recommend filing Consent Orders with the Court. This becomes especially important if you want to avoid paying stamp duty when transferring all or part of your property to your former spouse. These services are available as a fixed fee, following our initial consultation.

What the consent orders include:

  • Collecting the required information to complete the Application for Consent Orders
  • Preparing orders in line with your agreement
  • Up to three minor revisions and variations
  • Making arrangements for you to sign the agreement
  • Filing the Application for Consent Orders and Consent Orders with the Court
  • Providing you with a copy of the agreement once sealed/stamped by the court

Mediation, Negotiation and Court Proceedings


How much am I entitled to?

Sign up now to receive exclusive access to our free resources, including our property separation calculator.

When can I file for divorce?

You can file for divorce when you and your spouse have been separated for 12 months and one day. This includes any periods of time where you were separated under one roof.

What documents will I need to file for divorce?

Marriage Certificate – If you were married in Australia and cannot locate your marriage certificate you will need to contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages at www.bdm.nsw.gov.au. If your marriage certificate is not in English, you will need to have it translated into English by an authorised translator (see www.naati.com.au). The translator will prepare an affidavit which will need to be field with your marriage certificate.

Australian Citizenship or Passport – If you were born overseas, you will need to provide your citizenship certificate and advise of the date you commenced living in Australia. If you are not yet an Australian citizen and have lived in Australia continuously for a period of over 12 months, you will need to provide visa paperwork and details.

Do I have to go to court?

You will need to attend court if you applied for divorce on your own (not a joint application) and you have a child of the marriage that is under 18 years old at the time of applying for divorce. This is even if there is no disagreement about parenting. 

You will also need to attending court if you have filed an affidavit in various circumstances where you were required to prepare a supporting affidavit, such as an affidavit, for separation under one roof.

Further questions? Take the next step, book a free intro consultation with us today to discuss your needs.